State Pool Eligibility
The following people are eligible for MHIP coverage if they have been a legal resident of Missouri (except for federally defined eligible individuals).
Missouri residents must provide evidence of any one of the following:
- A rejection or refusal by an insurer to issue substantially similar health insurance for health reasons
- A refusal by an insurer to issue substantially similar insurance, except at a premium exceeding MHIP's plan premium
- A federally defined eligible individual who has not experienced a significant break in coverage
- A trade act eligible individual
- Any resident dependent of a person who is eligible for plan coverage
- Any person, regardless of age, who can be claimed as a dependent of a trade act eligible individual on that individual's tax filing
- Any person whose health insurance coverage is involuntarily terminated for any reason other than nonpayment of premium or fraud, and who is not otherwise ineligible
- Any person who has health insurance with a premium that is 150 to 200 percent of the individual standard rate and is otherwise eligible
- Any person currently insured who would have qualified as a federally defined eligible individual or a trade act eligible individual between the effective date of the federal Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996 and 2008
Contact the carrier serving your county or MHIP for specific eligibility requirements.
Apply for MHIP Coverage
Applications accepted until 11-15-13.
It's easy to apply for MHIP coverage. We've put together a simple checklist to help you get all your information in order.
Go to the Apply Now Checklist Page for information and helpful links.
Need help with your application?
Call us at 800-821-2231.
Appeals and Grievances
Appeals and Grievances should be filed in accordance with State Pool Certificate of Coverage (page 45).